Tuesday, September 25, 2012

9-24-12

Hey Moms,
The baby boy is going good. He is really a good comp. I felt super bad for him last week because when we went to email, nobody had written him. Not even his mom or dad or little brother who are members. He was super worried about it and just kept talking about it. I will admit it is a little strange being a 19 year old kid teaching a 26 year old man. Like I seriously had to sit him down and give him a ¨it's all going to be alright¨ talk. Didn't want him running away on me or anything. I think I got him pretty calmed down though because he had a really good week this last week. Did really well in all the lessons and all. I hope we get along like we did this week for the next ten weeks... Buuut, the other thing about my comp is he is sexist. Like every time we see a woman driving a car or on a scooter, he freaks out and runs to the sidewalk and always says something like ¨Oh how scary, in Peru women are not allowed to drive cars.¨ The first time he told me that I was just kind of like uhhhh, is Peru in South America or the Middle East? Like do women have rights in Peru or...? 


The first weeks are seriously the toughest though, I remember they just felt like eternities, and I would wake up in the morning and just start crying and stuff. Not like histerically bawling, but just some tears on the pillow while I thought about how much I hated this place. And now, just how settled and happy I am, like yeah I still kind of hate this country but...I am happy and not crying haha. 

One of my best friends hit his year mark this week, I threw a little party for him (I bought him Dominos) and he and his comp came up to our house one night and we just kind of hung out and relaxed. That is when it kind of dawned on me I am closing in on the year mark too. That's so strange just to think that. I am one of the older missionaries here now, most of the mission has gone home and finished, and the rest are just starting. The mission is super young right now. There are only 3 missionaries in my zone that are older than I am. Weird. 

Anyways, that's sad what happened to J, I will be sure to keep him in my prayers. We kind of had a similar thing happen this week. One night we were having dinner with some members and the ward mission leader calls me and asks me if I can come to his house and give some blessings, nothing seemed that weird so I told him yeah, and we walked over there. We go into his house and his wife is on the phone just bawling. Apparently her brother had got into a car accident and was pretty much dead, or going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life. I was so heartbroken for this lady, because her dad died in a car accident like 4 weeks ago. I love this family too, they always call us and tell us they ordered pizza for us and stuff like that. Just a family that really loves the missionaries. Its hard to see hard things happen and not really be able to do anything about it. The good thing is we know for what and why we are here, and the problems that we all pass, even though we may not understand them, are for our good. DC 121:7-9, right?

As for dad saying he is going to start looking for a new team, I just have one thing to say to him. Repentance. So disappointing... at least Byu is better than New Mexico, right? We always will have that going for us. 


Oh before I forget. Some guy got killed in my area on Saturday. It was so crazy. We went to get our laundy from the member who washes our clothes and we hear what sounds like fireworks, but seriously they light off fireworks so much in this country that its never a surprise to hear that sound, but like five minutes later when were leaving the house of this member, we hear an ambulance siren. Walk outside and they are carting some guy up, and drive away slowly withought the lights going. Crazy. From what we heard it was a drug trafficker that got shot. I called the zonies and my zonie(my friend who just hit the year mark) just starts talking about Bryan Reagan and when he says, ¨just go into that room there, tell them your shot.¨ I was like uhhh, I dont think you understand, some guy just got murdered in my area, and so he tells me to be carefull and go home for a few hours haha. 

Don't worry though, that's not the first time I have seen something like that happen. It only happens if you're involved in the buying, selling, and  trafficking drugs, so I figure I will be alright. Not to mention everyone knows who the missionaries are, and the people here, especially the bad ones, are super super superstitious, so they wouldn't ever do anything to a tall white missionary. That's not what Jesus would do. 

We played basketball again for p-day, I am starting to get my game back a little bit. We play games of 3 on 3, and my team almost never lose haha. Not to sound super arrogant or anything, I am playing against a bunch of 5ft latinos, but it does feel good to win in something since I always lose when we play soccer. 

Anyways, I forgot to tell you there was something I wanted in my package. Send me Liv's efy cd from this year, also if you can download efy 2011 that would be really appreciated. Also, I would love all the music you can find from Alex Boye, remember him? I love his stuff, so whatever you can find of his would be great. 
Love you guys, have a good week. 
Adam
P.S. Alex sent me an email just telling me about his iphone 5. Dagger to the heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment