Friday, September 20, 2013

8-31-13





Hey Mom,

How are things going? Sounds like everyone had a fun week at the cabin. In those photos everyone looks really, really different. Wendy and Josie look like they have grown a ton. I bet Alex was freaking out a little bit getting some dad practice. I can’t even remember the due date is, but that is pretty crazy that it should be this month. I have been trying so hard not to think about college football starting. It would probably be smarter not to send me updates ha-ha. My comp and I have been trying not to talk about it too much. It’s hard though when the two of us both had been at BYU, plus the other secretary that is here in the office went there too. We are pretty cougar heavy here in the office.

Things are good here in the office. It’s been another fun and crazy week. I had to go up to Huehue and close up a house that some missionaries had been in. That took all day. We have been running a ton of errands for President too. He had to run up to Momos so he took our truck (we have a Nissan Navaro which is actually really, really nice. I love driving it, its a lot like a Tacoma) and he left us his car and we had to take it to the dealer in the morning to get fixed. Then in the afternoon we had to go get the truck and drive him over to the dealer so he could pick his car up again. White knuckle driving. I don’t know if you have ever had to drive through rush hour traffic in Central American streets with Central American drivers with your Mission President sitting two feet behind you, but I would much prefer driving through a blizzard. So nerve wracking driving around with President ha-ha.

Driving here is so hard. You can never tell how many lanes a road is or where you are, because only about 20 percent of the roads have paint on them. One of the main roads here in Xela is 4 lanes across with two lanes in both directions, and seriously, not a single painted line on the whole road. No turning lanes. No speed limits. It’s chaos. Plus you add in the factor of all the micro-busses that people use to get around in, and they are crazy. They just weave in and out of traffic and stop everywhere. There are no bus stops here or anything, just whenever a person wants to get on a certain bus you just flag it down like if you where going to call a taxi. And they just stop in the middle of the road and you get on the bus. Honestly driving here was cool at first, but then the novelty wore off and now its just terrifying.  

The other great thing from this week though, was we finally moved out of our terrible house. We went on Monday and told the owner we were going to move out, she is this little old grandma and she got soooo mad. She kept asking if we were going to stay here in Xela or if we knew where we were going. I was just kind of saying uhhhhh nope. No idea. I didn’t want to make this lady feel bad but honestly her house was a dump. I was so dang sick of hearing those stupid geese screaming at five in the morning. She was super chaffed though that we only rented one month, she kept saying that the missionaries across the street (the APs) had lived in the same house for like four years and we only lived there for a month. But the whole time in my mind I was thinking, ``But yeah, the other missionaries have a hot water heater, and carpet and hardwood floors, and couches, and a washer and dryer, and they can stand up and walk through the doors, and there is no giant geese pen outside the only window in the whole house. Of course they have lived there for four years. If your house was like that I wouldn’t want to leave after a month.”  But I didn’t want to make her feel bad, so I didn’t really say much to her.

But our new house is sweet. It’s not like crazy nice or anything, but it’s big, it has high ceilings, and I can actually stand up straight when I am in the shower. My comp had a bazillion photos of Jesus too just in his suitcase so we put them all up over the apartment. Added a nice touch honestly. The night we moved though, like I said the lady was all chaffed with us so we just wanted to get out of there as fast as we could, we did one trip. All the furniture, all the suitcases, everything. One trip. We packed all our stuff in the bed of the truck and in the backseat, and had all four of us secretaries in the front two seats ha-ha. It was like playing tetras fitting it all in. We only moved like four blocks away but I was scared that everything that I own to my name was going to fall out and get left on the cold rainy Guatemalan streets. But we made it. We are in the new house now and it’s heavenly. When I wake up in the morning I don’t hear anything. No crazy geese scream. It’s heaven. I’ll attach some photos of the old house so enjoy.

 Thing are good in the area too. It’s hard sometimes when you only work for a few hours a night if you’re lucky. But I am hoping that we will have some luck. We have one partial family that I am really optimistic for. It’s hard some nights though because I have no idea where to go. Since we are both super new in the area and we only get a few hours to work, it’s hard. We don’t want to go visit the same people but we need referrals, contacting here during the night hours are absolutely worthless. My comp is such a stud though. He reminds me a ton of Spencer Eddy actually. But it’s always so awesome to have a fun comp, plus the other secretary is super cool too. That makes the office way more manageable.

Things are good here though, I hope you all are doing great too. I love you all and hope you have a great week.
Love,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment